500 error when adding listing from front end

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paolo 8 years, 9 months ago.

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket
  • Author

m forbes

Hi, I can not seem to add a listing/event from front end user (not admin). I get this error:

ERROR:
    The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

The problem is on the server side, not with your browser or the address. Most probably, a certain service (e.g., Tomcat engine) is down. Please contact your webmaster.

BUT, when logged in as admin, I can see the added listings added as draft, as should be.

Server error logs for front end are:
    [Sun Dec 20 12:57:01 2015] [warn] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx] mod_fcgid: read data timeout in 240 seconds, referer: http://xxx.com/listing-preview/
    [Sun Dec 20 12:57:01 2015] [error] [client xx.xxx.xx.xxx] Premature end of script headers: php, referer: http://xxx.com/listing-preview/

Have been round and round with hosting service. Today they are mentioning possible plugin conflict.

In the past few days they have had to add mod-security exceptions to even be able to edit a listing from back end.

Could someone look at my install and give an opinion on if this is, in fact, a site issue or thoughts on if it is a server issue.

Tech support is explaining that a 500 is a vague error.

Will add credentials in private.

UPDATE: Just tried to add listing from backend and get this message:
    Connection lost. Saving has been disabled until you’re reconnected. We’re backing up this post in your browser, just in case.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    M

m forbes
    This reply has been marked as private.

Paolo
    Site Admin

Hi,

this are 100% server related. After logging in I got a server error (see image attached)

It looks like you are trying to run WordPress on a Windows server.

I would strongly advise against it. Please move to a Linux server, you’ll havea bunch of problems runnning a PHP application on a Windows server.

Thanks

m forbes

Can you attach the image (is not attached that I can see) so I can pass it on? Really, a windows server??? This was not suppose to be the case. Sigh. And thanks!

Paolo
    Site Admin

sorry about that, it is attached now.

IIS is Windows server…

m forbes

they are saying its a CentOS server.

ok, after looking at your attachment. yes, kamuela.com is a live site on a windows server. I am developing a new site on the CentOS server using the Instant access domain alias url on this new server.

I had thought that by using the instant alias, and using this url in the wp install that there would be no reference to kamuela.com.

Is this probelm because I am using kamuela.com as the acct. name with the Instant access domain alias under it that I am having the issues. sorry I am lame about this stuff.

thanks Paolo

Paolo
    Site Admin

Honestly I have no idea.

I’m not a server admin, I’m sorry. 🙁

m forbes

and i don’t want to be a server admin :). I am so over this!!!

m forbes

Ok, after trial and error and much frustration… Server guy suggested changing php mode from fastcgi to php_libphp5. I am now able to submit listings…

But, Now I am getting this notice at top of backend pages:

GeoDirectory does not have access to your filesystem, thing like import/export will not work. Please define your details in wp-config.php as explained here http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#WordPress_Upgrade_Constants

Also, I have entries set to draft upon approval. Right now, when a listing or event is entered, it returns me to the home page. I seem to remember there being a page after submission that explained that said something like thanks for your submission, blah, blah, blah. Where do I go to enable this?

Thanks for your help on this. I do not know if changing the php mode is the ultimate solution…

m forbes

Sorry, I forgot to ask this… Paolo, when you came up with the domain, kamuela.com, when looking at the server type, how did you end up with this url, versus the instant alias url. I ask this because there should be no reference to the url kamuela.com in wp. Thanks!

Paolo
    Site Admin

Hi,

I just tried to log in…

Thanks

m forbes

not sure what your answer means but thanks for answering :).

my server guy says that geodirectory is built to use libphp and wordpress to use fastcgi.

true? he is suggesting that I change modes depending on if im working on wp or geodirectory???

this does not make sense to me…

thanks again!

Paolo
    Site Admin

Hi,

our server here uses fastcgi and we have no problem with GD…

Not sure what he means.

Thanks

m forbes

OMG!!! I signed up for free trial at cloudway, migrated same site with their migration plugin, logged in to the staging site, added event, new listing, edited a listing, all worked perfect!! Do you know how many friggin hours I have spent on trouble shooting this???!!! Happy Xmas to me! You can close this thread!

Thanks Paolo!

Paolo
    Site Admin

Hi,

miracles of properly configured severs.

you are welcome 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket
20% Discount Offer
Hurry! Get your 20% discount before it expires. Get 20% Discount