Hi, I want to define locations in LMv2 based on alternative criteria / fields. The locations will be based on geo-location coordinates that are not specific mailing addresses. Listings within these “geographic areas” will have specific addresses that can be mapped.
Essentially, I want to use LMv2 “Locations” as “containers” to create separate collections of Listings of various Post Types. These containers are geographic regions / areas, not single cities or postal codes.
Here are some examples along with some requirements and planned use cases.
1. Commonly Recognized Geographic Name.
United States — Missouri — Ozark Mountain National Park Area
United States — Arkansas — Ozark Mountain National Park Area
United States — [state name] — _______ State Park Area
United States — Oklahoma — Grand Lake Area
United States — Arkansas — Beaver Lake Area
United States — [state name] — _______ Wildlife Conservation Area
2. A State and County Name (not City + Zip Code).
United States — Oklahoma — Delaware County
United States — Oklahoma — Cherokee County
United States — Kansas — Cherokee County
United States — Kansas — Crawford County
A “Location” would not be a Country + City / Town + Zip Code [+ Neighborhood Name] combo.
There will be multiple Zip Codes / Cities / Towns within one Location (area), but these “addresses” will only be defined within the actual Listing item data.
1. Be able to use Advance Search and Custom Post Types within a Location.
2. Limit search results to within X miles of Location’s center (geo coordinates manually set).
3. Limit Listing Creation by each Location and Pricing Plan.
Defining Locations / Attributes:
1. Locations are Geographic Areas within a multi-state Geographic Region, not a specific City or Town … or Neighborhood within City: each Location will contain multiple Cities / Towns and Zip Codes as Listings within or nearby that Location.
2. Most common combination to define a Location will be: United States, State, COUNTY NAME
4. Alternative combination to define a Location will be: United States, State, Commonly Known Name (i.e. Mark Twain National Forest, Grand Lake, Beaver Lake, Lake of the Ozarks, etc.)
5. Will drag-n-drop the map pin to set the Location’s central point Lat/Lon, but the geocode likely will not translate to a mailing address or city … so I need to be able to manually input Location attributes and selectively hide / display Location attributes.
Functionality Use Cases:
1. Want to limit directory to specified Locations only.
2. Want visitors / users to search within specific Locations / Geographic Areas and restrict search to within a certain number of miles from the center of that Geographic Area.
3. Want to create memberships / packages for single locations only and multiple Locations.
4. Want to offer different pricing plans based on Location.
I hope the above makes sense.
I know that I could create a multi-site network to do this … but that would require listing owners to login to multiple sites on the network to manage listings, reviews, etc.
So it seems like “custom Locations” is the best way to approach this.
Your thoughts / suggestions for the best way to accomplish the above would be greatly appreciated!