Store locator plugins for WordPress have been around for quite a while.
They are extremely useful for chains of hotels or restaurants, gas stations, consumer stores, beauty salons, convenience stores, chains of gyms, and many more types of businesses with more than one location.
Simply put, such plugins help potential customers easily find the location or locations of a given business.
More often than not, WordPress store locator plugins rely on Google Maps to display locations and addresses.
This implies you can make use of Google Maps features such as geolocation right on your WordPress website.
Geolocation, allows you to show the store which is the closest to the user’s location.
WordPress Store Locator Plugins Compared
That said, which WordPress store locator plugins are the best?
In this article, we will be taking a look at some of the most popular WordPress store locator plugins.
In addition to that, we will be paying special attention to Rich Snippets support.
From the point of view of a local business, Rich Snippets are crucial for SEO as these help search engines display useful results about your business.
For instance, if you are running a restaurant, Rich Snippets can showcase stuff like Menus, Service Hours, Specials, etc.
Store Locator Plus for WordPress
Whether you have two stores or thousands, this plugin allows you to quickly create a location search on your website.
Without any special settings, you can create a page, specify your default location, and add a shortcode to the location search page.
Naturally, this particular plugin is ideal for people who just wish to add a simple search bar to their site for locating stores.
If you are looking for highly customizable options, Store Locator Plus for WordPress is probably not the first pick that comes to mind.
That said, the plugin works like a charm.
You can add custom addons (paid extensions) to this plugin for additional features.
Such as enabling or disabling search options, categorizing locations, creating SEO-focused pages for each location, and so on.
In fact, it can possibly be said that to get the most out of this plugin, you will need to implement a few addons or extensions anyway.
For instance, to integrate social media links with store locations, or to add custom fields to your location data, extensions are necessary.
Store Locator Plus also works seamlessly with Gravity Forms and Event Location Manager to link events to the location of your business.
Lastly, it supports multiple countries and languages without any paid addons.
- Support for multiple countries and locations
- Localized in various languages
- There is no hard limit on the number of locations that you can add
- Easily customizable with HTML and CSS tweaks
- A wide range of paid addons and extensions to get the most out of your site
- Support for WordPress REST API, to help use WP as a headless CMS or integrate with mobile apps, and so on.
- Supports Rich Snippets – No support whatsoever (does not use Rich Snippets)
WP Store Locator
The WP Store Locator (that you can find here), is a free WordPress store locator plugin that adds all your locations to a map that you can fully customize.
The map and navigator can be in whatever language you choose.
You can add custom labels for each location and help users find business locations using multiple filters, such as proximity radius or category.
WP Store Locator helps you display any number of stores and allows you to change the frontend language from the admin panel.
The shortcodes are highly customizable, so you can choose what to display on the front end of your site.
Be it opening or closing hours, alternate addresses, landmarks, phone numbers, and so on.
This WP plugin comes with custom markers that users can drag on the map to set their desired location.
Beyond that, marker clustering is also available should there be multiple stores in close proximity.
Overall, this is a very feature-rich plugin that can fit the needs of any user.
However, the biggest downside is that some of the features that are otherwise available out of the box in most plugins require you to rely on addons here.
For instance, bulk import, detailed statistics, and search widgets are mostly managed by means of addons with WP Store Locator.
- Support localization and works well with multilingual plugins
- Ability to showcase marker cluster on the frontend
- Supports Geolocation API with Google Maps
- Comes with custom filters to sort CPTs based on user requirements
- Supports Rich Snippets – No (Partial Support; but single entry pages do not use Local Business Rich Snippets)
Yoast Local SEO for WordPress
Yoast has become the de facto leader when it comes to WordPress SEO.
Their primary SEO plugin is free to use, and it is backed by the Local SEO plugin which is especially meant for store locator websites.
Local SEO by Yoast allows users to filter stores and other locations by radius and ZIP codes.
You can add the address of your store to the store locator page, specify the opening and closing hours, and add any custom info as well by means of shortcodes.
The plugin also supports custom widgets that can display store location info in the sidebar or footer.
That said, the biggest issue with Local SEO by Yoast is the absence of a free version.
More importantly, this is not a bonafide store locator plugin per se.
Instead, it is a companion plugin for the mainstream Yoast SEO plugin.
It offers seamless integration with Yoast SEO, the ability to handle metadata and XML sitemaps, etc. but does not boast of any of the additional features that other WordPRess store locator plugins bring to the table.
Lastly, it is worth mentioning that if you have virtual locations for your store, this particular plugin might not be the best fit for you.
Price – $69 USD + VAT
- Offers tight integration with Yoast SEO plugin
- Integrates well with WooCommerce, can add location-specific features to WooCommerce products
- Supports KML file generation and can add the relevant info to your search engine XML sitemap automatically
- Supports Rich Snippets – Yes
Locatoraid Store Locator
Locatoraid Store Locator (link) is another lightweight WordPress store locator plugin that includes many configurable styles for frontend display.
In terms of modus operandi, Locataraid follows the same approach as all other plugins on this list.
It lets you add locations that your customers can then browse through, supports custom shortcodes for easier display of store locations, the ability to insert maps with text search, radius and proximity search, etc.
In addition to all of that, Locataraid also comes with custom widgets and highly tweakable map styles.
On the downside, though, geolocation is hard to set up and for the most part, Locataraid seems to require users to manually type in their address or ZIP code in order to fetch nearby store locations.
Obviously, it might be time-consuming and a minor hindrance for some users.
- Tweakable and customizable map styles
- Supports multiple locations and custom fields
- Ability to bulk import locations in a few clicks
- Supports Rich Snippets – No (Partial Support; single entry pages do not support Local Business Rich Snippet fully)
Agile Store Locator
Agile Store Locator (link) is a handy WordPress store locator plugin that relies on Google Maps for rendering maps on the frontend.
This particular WP plugin supports Geolocation as well as custom fields, and also offers a decent set of customization features for the maps display.
That said, the free version only seems to be able to search or locate stores on the basis of manual input – ZIP code, city, country, etc.
- Support for Google Maps and Google Geocoding API
- Support for custom fields
- Multilingual support
- Ability to display maps in different languages
- Rich Snippets Support – No
Our flagship plugin, GeoDirectory, is well worth mentioning on this list.
It comes with a wide range of features that are otherwise not found in most WordPress store locator plugins.
Don’t take our word for it, though. Consider this:
- Full support for WordPress REST API
- Support for various CPTs and custom fields for displaying location info
- A wide range of widgets that can be used as shortcodes or Gutenberg blocks in virtually any content field
- Ability to add unlimited locations and location metadata
- Numerous custom extensions that offer seamless integration with third-party plugins as well as extended features
- Search by proximity
- Events locator using our WordPress Event Calendar plugin.
- Rich Snippets Support – Yes, obviously! 🙂
The best part? GeoDirectory is one of the few WordPress store locator plugins out there that supports both Google Maps and OpenStreetMaps API.
To Sum it up…
In this article, we have put together some of the most popular WordPress store locator plugins.
Each comes with its own set of features and abilities, and for the most part, any of the above plugins will suffice for most users.
Which one should you really use? Yes, it depends on your requirements.
For instance, if integration with Yoast SEO is the only aspect of your search, Local SEO by Yoast is an obvious choice.
On the other hand, if the widest selection of features in the free version and a stellar array of premium extensions is something you’re looking for, GeoDirectory is what you should choose for your site.
Which WordPress store locator plugin do you prefer and why? Have your say in the comments below!