1694 NEW USERS SPELLS DOOM

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paolo 7 years, 2 months ago.

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket
  • Author

Jimmy Ryan
    Expired Member

I am tweaking my website prior to roll-out. The site is actually live online but no marketing or promotion has occurred, therefore no meaningful traffic to the site at this point in time.

I checked this morning and the site was under attack — 1694 new subscribers created in the past 24 hours but not one head’s up email notification from the GEO DIRECTORY and no new listings (places or events).

Are there any known vulnerabilities with GD or any plugin you recommend to stop bulk registration attacks?

Paolo
    Site Admin

Hi,

GeoDirectory doesn’t send notifications for new user registration, that is handled by WordPress itself. If you are not getting notifications there is something wrong in your install.

To avoid spam registration, one option is to install the GD reCAPTCHA add-on that will prevent bots from registering.

There are also other plugins like Clear Talk ($8/year fee) that will secure your website without extra captcha widgets or any intervention on your side. https://wordpress.org/plugins/cleantalk-spam-protect/

Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket