1800 places at the same wrong address on map

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  patripat 6 years, 5 months ago.

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket
  • Author

patripat
    Expired Member

Hi guys,

ready for a though one?

i got around 4000 places in toutwat.be, just noticed 1080 of them are showing at the exact same place on the map…which is wrong, plenty are not even supposed to be in that city…

is there something i can do to automatically refresh the position on the map for lets say all places? (i could not list the 1800 wrong ones and others are probably on a wrong location too)

I confirm that the addresses are entered correctly

Thanks for your help,
    Pat

Alex Rollin

Hello!

There are lots of services for GeoCoding out there:

https://wpgeodirectory.com/support/topic/geocoding-an-import-file/

Let us know if you find one you like

patripat
    Expired Member

HI Alex,

thanks for your answer, i’m looking for a script that refreshes the position of places on the map, they have been entered manually, not imported as a csv, the address is correctly entered

geocoding would mean editing a csv file for 4000 entries manually as the geodirectory exported csv file is full of useless data for these services and cannot be understood by their scripts

also the geodirectory export csv file cannot be edited easily, i tried millions of times with no result and almost destroyed my database

is there no way of getting a snippet that would “push” the refresh the button on map on the place input form for every place?

Thanks,
    Patrick

Alex Rollin

Hello!

No snippet magic for this, I’m afraid.

You can export the entries, run a a geocoding service against the CSV, and then import it.

Your export will have PostIDs so you can choose to update existing listings.

Very do-able.

patripat
    Expired Member

something i do not understand here…when filling the form to add a place, the geocoding is done through this process, it can again be done when editing the place

so it is possible to do it one by one but not in batch?

i’m definitly not willing to mess with my places database, it has costed me a huge amount of money to get it encoded

Alex Rollin

Hello,

we are not able to provide you with other solutions besides the one I described above.

patripat
    Expired Member
    This reply has been marked as private.

Guust

Try clicking through a bit more, or zoom in further, I think it is just because they are all very close together.

patripat
    Expired Member

Hi Guust,

as you can see on the screenshot, these 1080 places are all set to a single place on the map

That’s really weird, i see for example that all hairdressers are pointing there, even when they’re from another city…

Thanks for coming in,
    Pat

Alex Rollin

Hello again,

you can your site url and admin credentials if you want us to take a look.

I will say again, though, there is no bulk geocoding function at this time. The recipe is as described.

As far as WHY your locations all have the same location, well, we would need credentials to take a look.

I would recommend you go ahead and export your listings anyways to verify that they are all at the same lat/lon. Are those the coordinates of your default locations?

Guust

I do not see any places that are showing on the wrong spot. Can you post direct links to the places you think are on the wrong place?
    If I zoom in far enough using the Google + zoom, all seems fine.
    If we need to investigate more, give us WP admin details, and a few sample listings that are incorrect.

Thanks

patripat
    Expired Member
    This reply has been marked as private.

Guust

It seems you may have de-activated or deleted or changed some locations, so the map location has reverted to the lat and lng of your default location in Waterlo for some listings.
    You need to click “set on map” again 🙁

Have a look at your locations. For example the lat and lng of Knokke in Region Flamande is the same as Waterlo, but Knokke in Vlaanderen is on the correct spot. You should merge those locations.

You can see all locations at https://www.toutwat.be/aaa/
    For example:
    https://www.toutwat.be/location/belgium/region-flamande/knokke-heist/
    https://www.toutwat.be/location/belgium/vlaanderen/knokke-heist/

patripat
    Expired Member

Guust,

yes it’s true, i previously merged locations and deleted a few, so thats where it comes from!

I’m going to check what i can merge again and see it there will be a change, i understand the situation now

Thank you!
    Pat

Guust

Careful with deleting locations, you should merge instead. Deleting locations can delete all listings in that location usually!
    https://wpgeodirectory.com/docs/manage-location/#merge

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket