404 error on signup

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  oldmankit 9 years, 9 months ago.

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket

Tagged: ,

• Author

oldmankit
    Buyer

When using the form on page

http://mysite.com/?geodir_signup=true

I get redirected to

http://mysite.com/author/?geodir_dashbord=true&stype=gd_place

which returns a 404 error. There is no

/author

page on my site. I’ve never seen such a page, nor have I deleted it, but it looks like it’s required for geodirectory to function.

I tried adding a a new page called ‘author’, which avoids the 404 error, but the page remains empty and useless. Geodirectory doesn’t seem to be using it.

What do I have to do to make this ‘author’ page work, or avoid a 404 error when new users signup?

Guust

You got a URL for us?
    GD uses an author page, that is the page where a user can edit their listings etc.
    The URL of that is /author/username/?geodir_dashbord=true&stype=gd_place
    And WP admin details too if you want me to have a look at your settings.

oldmankit
    Buyer

Here it is: reikiconnect.org

The link I am using for users to add a listing is http://reikiconnect.org/add-listing/?listing_type=gd_place

After signing up, the 404.

Guust

Worked perfectly for me.
    Are you using some caching plugin?
    Have you tried using another browser and email?
    I was able to register, submit a listing and visited “my” author page.

oldmankit
    Buyer

Thank you Guust very much for testing this for me. I’ve just re-tested it myself with the same browser (IE 11) and found that it’s now working.

A couple of questions for you. What’s the link to find someone’s author page? I would expect to find it in ‘My Dashboard’ but that only seems to have a login form or a logout link.

The other one is about caching. I do have both static and dynamic caching (Varnish) enabled on my site. My host is siteground. Is this likely to cause problems? It would (obviously) be best if no-one ever gets a 404 error when they register.

Guust

You should not use any caching, there is no need with GD and some caching plugins store too much and are only suitable for sites that do not use dynamic pages like GD.
    You could just try to disable the dynamic caching and see how you go with that if you think you need it.

You need to add the links to a user’s listing from GD > Design > Navigation > User Dashboard Post Type Navigation Settings.
    That will create some links to the author’s page for the logged in user.

If you want other visitors to see the author page of another user, you will need to use the claim listings add-on, and then go GD > Claim Listings > Options > Show link to author page on listings? > YES

oldmankit
    Buyer

Thanks for that info. I have turned caching off for this domain.

Thank you very much for the info about the user dashboard. I have been wondering about that for a while!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

We have moved to a support ticketing system and our forums are now closed.

Open Support Ticket