If you’re an Airbnb host, chances are you’re always looking for ways to increase your bookings and revenue.
But aside from a well-maintained property, extra amenities, and excellent customer service, you can add another layer of value to your guests.
A Directory Website with your local tips for travelers.
A directory website gives visitors everything they need for their vacation and will add a unique personalized touch to the experience of your short-term rental guests.
From finding a place to stay (cue your excellent property listings) to discovering unique local attractions or services, all in one convenient place.
With some creativity and effort, you can use your directory website to establish a brand, which can be a very profitable operation for your any Aribnb operator, as explained in this video.
Finally, you can turn this into a lucrative business venture to boost revenue for yourself and the community.
In this blog post, we’ll explain how you can create your directory website and get started on this journey.
First, here are some factors to consider when creating a tourist directory website:
- Location: Where will the directory be based, and what type of attractions/services will it feature? For example, if you’re a host in a ski resort area, the directory might include ski rental shops and activities like snowmobiling or dog sledding. If you have multiple properties in different regions, you can go global and offer a comprehensive directory of local attractions wherever your guests travel.
- Audience: Who is the directory for, and who will be featured on it? Are you focusing on visitors to your area, or do you want to attract local businesses too? Will the directory feature only travel-related services or a range of offerings from different industries?
- Branding and Design: Think about the design of your website and how it can help you drive more bookings. Your directory should be visually appealing, easy to navigate, and display information orderly. Also, ask how you’ll brand the directory and make it stand out. What colors, fonts, and images will you use? With a directory builder like GeoDirectory, you can style and customize attractive, on-brand pages from the ground up.
- Promotion: How will you get the word out to potential customers? Consider setting up a blog or social media account to spread awareness of your directory.
1. List your properties as a better deal than on Airbnb
Once your directory is ready, you’ll first want to list all your properties.
The great thing about having your website directory is that you can call the shots (entirely) on pricing.
That means you can offer exclusive discounts, bundle services together, and skip the service fees to create a better deal than what’s available through Airbnb or other hosting sites.
For instance, on Airbnb, hosts pay a 3% commission, and guests are charged a service fee of up to 15% on top of the accommodation price.
By raising the price by 7% on your directory website, guests will still pay, on average, 8% less compared to Airbnb.
This means you can make an extra 10% profit minus the credit card commission.
On top of the financial benefits, you have more control over the listing process to tailor the listing to your guests’ needs.
Some perks of this are:
- You could offer discounted rates for more extended stays, provide complimentary local tours/services with each booking, ‘curate’ unique experiences for each guest, or create custom packages for different types of travelers (families, couples, business travelers). By offering more than just a place to stay and extras like these, you will surely draw in more customers looking for an all-in-one solution.
- You build a direct relationship with guests instead of relying on a third-party platform. This way, you can keep in touch with guests after they’ve left (via email or social media). If the guest is happy with the experience, they may return for another stay or recommend your properties to others.
Once you’ve listed your properties, you can consider adding more businesses and activities to the directory.
This is where it gets fun.
By including other things to do in your area, you create a one-stop shop for travelers looking for the best of what your area offers.
If you send a link to the directory whenever you receive a new booking, you will allow your guest to better prepare for their stay and will ignite curiosity and excitement.
It will also allow you to set the expectations in advance, allowing you to provide information that otherwise your guest would discover only once they reach your property and find your welcome book.
It becomes a journey of experiences, far more than your Airbnb competitors could offer.
The following sections will show you how to show guests the best of what your area has to offer.
2. Show your guests where to grab a bite
Of course, your guests will need somewhere to eat, and you can be sure to take advantage of that.
By curating a list of local eateries, cafes, bars, and pubs, you’ll provide guests with an easy-to-navigate website to find out where locals eat in that area.
In the restaurant directory, you could even feature only those that offer discounts or freebies to your guests.
For example, you could post a featured cafe listing that offers 20% off for all guests on your directory website.
Or you may add some of the best places to eat in your opinion (starring them as “recommended”), and offer other local businesses the opportunity to feature their venues.
Either would look something like this:
The more options you give your guests, the more likely they’ll book with you over another Airbnb host.
3. Give your website visitors exclusive deals on all-inclusive hotels & resorts
Yes, you can make money even from those not looking to book your place.
Notably, not all travelers are inclined to utilize vacation rental units, and some still prefer the ambiance of hotels and resorts.
This trend is a profitable opportunity for those savvy enough to tap into it.
This kind of traveler might still stumble upon an article on your website with the only genuine description of your location’s best hotels and resorts.
In this regard, prominent booking portals such as booking.com and Expedia have implemented affiliate marketing programs, extending commission incentives to bloggers and webmasters who forge strategic partnerships with them.
By joining forces with these influential players in the hospitality industry, website owners can capitalize on the benefits of the collaboration, earning commissions for bookings completed through their referral links.
In addition to this monetary compensation, the partnership also facilitates the provision of unique deals and experiences to guests, enhancing the appeal of the directory website and generating additional revenue streams.
Re-Sell Day Passes
If your Airbnb is close to All Inclusive Resorts, you can generate additional revenue by reselling day passes at a markup.
Many resorts sell day passes in bulk at a discounted price.
So if you get a 20% discount on the day passes, you can resell them at a 10% discount and keep 10% as markup.
This can be a great way to provide additional value to guests who may prefer to stay at an Airbnb but still wants to take advantage of the facilities of a nearby resort. (while you make an extra profit.)
Be sure to check the terms and conditions of the hotel or resort to ensure that reselling day passes is allowed.
A timeshare resort is a type of vacation ownership where individuals share ownership of a property, typically purchasing a week or a fraction of a week.
Owners can use or exchange them for an equal amount of time at other timeshare resorts.
They often offer additional amenities, activities, and on-site entertainment compared to regular resorts.
You could earn a percentage of the sale by referring a buyer through your directory website.
In addition to providing guests with unique experiences, partnering with timeshare resorts can significantly increase your revenue without additional costs.
Just make sure that you read all the terms and conditions before signing any agreements.
4. Suggest sports and recreational activities
Today, many travelers want active experiences that can vary depending on the location.
If you can suggest sports and recreational activities in your area, this could be an additional source of income for you.
For example, if your Airbnb is by the ocean and you know a local guide who offers fishing trips, you could commission them to take guests out and resell their service for a profit.
Or if there’s a rental shop nearby, you could partner with them to provide discounted rates on kayaks, paddleboards, and other equipment.
Golf is another popular activity for vacationers.
They may give you rounds at a 50% discount if you partner with a golf club.
You can use this opportunity to resell as packages for a profit: apartment plus golf or just the golf rounds.
And the great thing about golf courses is that they usually have many other activities to enjoy (e.g., tennis courts, swimming pools, and spas to restaurants and bars).
You can offer guests exclusive discounts on packages at golf courses in your area.
Skiing and snowboarding are two of the most popular winter activities, as they offer a thrilling adrenaline rush and beautiful scenery.
Ski resorts often provide lessons for those new to the sport, so getting started is easy.
Partner up with Ski and Snowboard teachers and resell their services.
5. Offer tickets to local attractions & extraordinary events
Regarding attractions and events, the possibilities are endless – from theme parks, museums, and nature-based activities to concerts and festivals.
Here are some more event partnership ideas to help you stand out from other Airbnb hosts:
- Boat tours: If you’re near the ocean, you could see if any local businesses offer Whale, Dolphin, or even Island watching tours.
- Wildlife exploration: If you’re near a nature reserve or wildlife park, contact them to see if they offer special packages for your guests.
- Food tours: Food tours are an excellent way for guests to know the local cuisine and culture. Contact local restaurants and tour operators to negotiate discounts and add experiences like cooking classes or wine tasting on your directory website.
- Sport & Wellness: You can partner with sports coaches and tour organizers (surf, golf, tennis, ski/snowboard, and many more) and sell their lessons for a %. You can also organize Tours (transportation and guide).
6. Let guests know about wellness experiences
Finally, consider partnering with local Yoga teachers, healing practitioners, and other wellness operators for exclusive rates for your guests.
You can add these services to your directory website and offer discounts on packages that include accommodation and treatment.
- Breathing Sessions
- Ice Water Baths
- Yoga Classes
- Sound Therapy
Note: You will need the Custom Post Types add-on to offer and manage the different kinds of listings (like events, activities, and resorts) we mentioned in the sections above.
7. Remember these pro tips when creating your Airbnb directory website
Now that you know how to ramp up your Airbnb revenues with a directory website, here are some pro tips to help you make the most out of it.
- Make it easy for guests to browse lists of top-rated places (whether it’s properties, attractions, or events). You can use the listing manager to create your own fine selection of experiences (e.g., “Must try Italian Restaurants”, “Places to visit in Scotland,” or “Summer Events 2023”) to make choices even easier for buyers while promoting certain places.
- Add reviews and rating capabilities to your directory website. This is a necessity when listing websites, as people rely heavily on reviews and ratings for making travel-related decisions. With the MultiRatings and Reviews add-on, you can upload photos and customize everything from the icons and color to the rating categories and scale to give guests an idea of what experiences are the most popular and enjoyable.
- Use the compare listing add-on to let your customers see listings side by side to assess essential details about each business. A comparison chart could be handy for your guests to understand the pros and cons of different listings so they can choose what’s best for them.
Ready to boost your Airbnb revenue?
No matter what type of travel experiences you want to offer, partnering with local businesses is an easy way for Airbnb hosts to increase and optimize their revenues.
With the right partnerships and a user-friendly GeoDirectory site, you can ensure your guests enjoy their stay and leave your destination with unforgettable memories, all while you’re making extra money!
If you’re feeling inspired, start building your Airbnb-like directory website today and see how to increase your Airbnb earnings.
Don’t forget to share it with the world to bring more guests to your destination.
You can get GeoDirectory here today: