Please, help us with the following issues
1) When we installed the Geodirectory plugin, we used OSM, chose the default country, region and city. But for some reason, the url of the region has been displayed in Russian, and not in English. We could not fix this issue, because there is no option to correct region url in the settings and solved the problem by hiding the country and region in the urls. In order to avoid such problems in future we installed Cyr To Lat plagin that automalically translates urls in English.
OSM worked incorrectly on our site, and we installed Google Maps. But now we are faced with the problem that when creating new cities, we have a duplicate region with an url in English (please, see attachment).
We even agree to remove the first region with url in Russian and 2 cities that are tied to it, but one of them (Krasnodar) is set by default and cannot be removed.
How can we solve this problem and leave only the region with the url in English?
2) The second problem is going from the first one: we cannot set now breadcrumps on the site. We are using Yoast breadcrumbs for that. While the country and the region are hidden in urls, they are diplayed in breadcrumps and generate wrong pages with a 404 error and the region in Russian in urls. Maybe there is some resolution for that? Our site is for just Russia and Krasnodar region and we would like to see just cites in urls and in breadcrumps as well.
3) The third problem is that we are not able to translate country in Russian. We are doing everything according the instruction https://wpgeodirectory.com/docs-v2/translation/country/. Maybe the problem is that in GeoDirectory Core plugin our country is named “Russia” and not “Russian Federation”. How we can fix it?
4) And why you cannot correctly set up the structure of the URLs in GeoDirectory if you wish to make your plagin good for SEO? It is important that the country / region / city stand at the beginning of URLs. Only under such conditions the static weight will be transferred to the page of the country / region / city.
Now you have the following structure: https://site-name/organizations/country/region/city/sample-place/
The correct structure should be https://site-name/country/region/city/organizations/sample-place/
It can be not very important for Google, but it is important for other search systems, for example, https://yandex.ru in Rissia
All good directories have this structure: you can look at 10times.com, yell.ru and many others.
I ask you to pay attention to this question
KorModeratorPost count: 16516
Thanks for your post. Before I answer your questions, could you please share your Website WP admin access here in private reply so that I could take a better look at your GD setup?
1. Create a new location in the city you want as the new default. Merge the old default into the new one. You can do that on the cities tab, select the two, then use the bulk updates option to merge.
2. We have a fix for this in the most recent version I think, or the next one. Please share a link to the page so we can check if it will apply in your case.
3. Please share a link to the site so we can login and check that.
4. CPT Slug is placed there for functionality related to the custom tables, but, I will have a developer answer your question and let us know if there is a workaround.
Sorry, we also need FTP to check the country translation issue.
WP Admin Login URL:
WP Admin Username:
WP Admin Password:
Thanks, the developers will take a look.
KiranModeratorPost count: 7069
4) It is necessary to have CPT slug in base to differentiate a listing within CPTs.
Please check and let us know.
2) Thank you a lot for that!
4) Could you, please, give more details. I am not sure that I well understand
KiranModeratorPost count: 7069
For 1) We set CPT slug in base by default to identify easily the listing is from organizations.
For 2) Country, region and city are not mandatory in urls. So it is difficult to detect correct CPT url structure and listing if urls are like
Let me return to the URLs question. This is very important for us, because otherwise, we are unable to realize the project as a regional directory, as we intended to do. We have 2 main search engines in our country: yandex.ru and google.com. They share traffic 50%X50%. We analyzed search results in Yandex and Google and came to the conclusion (as we have said before) that the catalog can be well ranked in search engines only if there is a city name at the beginning of the URL, and not at the end. All directories in TOP20 are made that way. Even half-empty sites are well ranked under these conditions.
In case we have URL like https://krdmama.ru/organizations/category/pools/krasnodar/ , we can only try to rank it as an informational site, and not a directory, as we wanted. At the moment, all static weight of the pages is going to Home page, which will never be ranked. Location pages receive weight from Home page, and this is 0.1% of the total weight.
The correct scheme should be : https://krdmama.ru/krasnodar/organizations/category/pools/. So that the entire static weight of the pages is going to the city and not to the Home page. Maybe there is some resolution for that? Otherwise, there is no point in implementing this project.
PaoloSite AdminPost count: 31205
WordPress reserve the 2nd part of the domain to the post type, there is no way around that.
That said, you can have
the catalog can be well ranked in search engines only if there is a city name at the beginning of the URL
This sounds totally anecdotal, at least for Google.
There are plenty of customer’s directories that are ranking just fine with the URL structure we provide right now.
It is not an anecdote, it is the the true of life. And we use not only Google, but also Yandex that have absolutely different requirements for site optimisation.
Please, give me some examples of directories that have more then 500 000 entries per month with such URLs. Of course, the question is not for the sites that exist 10-15 years.
The structure you mentioned is working only on Details pages:
But I told about Archive Pages that have URLs like
The city is at the end! And it is not possible to change it.
If WordPress reserve the 2nd part of the domain to the post type, it can be the prefix “ru” or the word “city” for example, but not places or events.
You have created the Whoop theme using Yelp.com as a base, but Yepl have the city at the beginning of URLs as well